Friday, August 22, 2008

God's teaching

If you read the preceding post, you will understand the problems we were having and seeking the Lord about.

I have had some sweet time with Allison and with the Lord. Allison and I, for now, have an understanding of mutual forgiveness and pledges to patience while we each learn and grow. The scriptures that God showed me follows. We will be discussing these and praying over these as all the children and I learn to interact with each other.

"A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control." Prov. 29:11

"He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity." Prov. 21:23

"Like a city whose walls are broken down is a man who lacks self-control." Prov.25:28 (We were just reading about the fall of Jericho in Allison's reading lesson, so this one made good sense to us.)

"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones." Prov. 16:24

"Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing." Prov. 12:18

"A wise son heeds his father's instruction, but a mocker does not listen to rebuke." Prov. 13:1

"He who scorns instruction will pay for it, but he who respects a command is rewarded." Prov. 13:13

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding." Prov. 3:5

"The wise in heart accept commands, but a chattering fool comes to ruin." Prov. 10:8

"All discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful; yet to those who have been trained by it, afterwards it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness." Heb. 12:11

"Honor your father and mother so that you will live a long time in the land that the Lord your God is going to give you." Exodus 20:12

I am sure there are many more scriptures on this, but these are the ones God gave us today. Once I got my pride out of the way, I realized that most pertain to me too. It's actually comical to me now, that as I read these, I was sure God was giving them so that I could really lay into the kids "biblically." Ha Ha! This lesson was for me. As I discipline them and as we just go about our day interacting, this is how I am also to treat them.

Thank you God, for your faithfulness to give wisdom and knowledge when I ask. Thank you for teaching and training me as your child. Thank you even for the discipline that I receive. Thank you for these children that are a clear picture of your love for me. Thank you that you are not done with me, but that you will continue to work on me until the day that Jesus comes. Help me to follow your example. Give me discernment when speaking to my children. I pray that you will allow me to point them to you and show them your love. Amen.

1 comment:

Candace/Chloe said...

God is so good to have given you just the right scriptures to lead and guide you. Thank you for sharing them......we LOVE Proverbs!

Oh, I still need to put your blog link on mine! Going right now to do that! ;-)