Monday, April 4, 2011

My future goals (my call to homemaking)....

(Neither of these pictures are of my home. I just found the images on google.com)


Close to reality....





What I want....

If you have been reading, you know that we have had quite the winter season. As we move into spring, I am optimistic about life and so eager to get things in order. Nothing makes you want to spring clean like months of vomit! ;-)

God has been working in me about many specific issues. One major one is my calling to be a homemaker, and not just any homemaker, but a joyful one! In addition to this, the calling to train my daughters in the love of joyful homemaking. YIKES!! This is VERY challenging for me. I have had the home that you don't want to just drop in on. On good days, we are a meal behind on dishes and have clean clothes piled in the big living room chair. At lease there ARE clean clothes! On bad day, don't even ask! Ever been there?

We do have a chore chart, but I find myself battling all the whines and bad attitudes the whole time. This puts our chores only partly finished and the next thing on the schedule late. See, I am FAR from perfect! I laugh when people look at all the charts I love to make and assume our home runs just like that. We are getting much better at following them, but we still have a long way to go! (I have high hopes for our If/Then chart. Although, today's first run at is has been a little rough.)

Anyway, all this equals much frustration between the children and I and a home that remains a place we wouldn't want to invite anyone. Still, my heart is to have open doors and people here all the time. I love hospitality and desire that to be part of our lives. My daughters, right now, just want to get out of the door as fast as possible. Outside play time with friends is their favorite time of the day. When they come in, the chaos begins again. Why would they want to be here or look forward to being a homemaker in their own home someday?

I first have to battle my own "I don't wanna's." It has been hard for me to see homemaking as a way to serve the Lord and my family, but I am starting to come around. Growing up, outside achievements were more valued, it seemed. School, work, etc. were talked about and praised, but not homemaking. In fact, the term homemaking wasn't ever said. I remember my dad getting in trouble for getting my mom an appliance or anything to aid in cleaning and cooking. It was seen as insulting to think that the kitchen was my mom's "place." I was raised to think about what schooling I wanted and what career I would do. Don't get me wrong, my parents were and are WONDERFUL! I learned so many lessons that help me be the mom I am today.

Over the past couple of years, I have learned more about God's calling for wives and mothers. I have changed my thoughts on the value given to homemaking. I now see that this is the very most challenging, most valuable, most wonderful calling for me! I want to be my husband's help mate! I want to train my children up in the Lord! I want to be their teacher and main influence in their lives! I want to make our home a beautiful, peaceful, comfortable, and welcoming place to be! I want to prepare delicious, healthy meals for my family and friends! I want to bless my husband by being wise with our budget! Wow, what an honor!!! Homemaking is not for the weak!

Something I also want, though, is to do all this with joy. That is the kicker! I am slowly learning how to carry out the charts and schedules that make most of this happen, but my heart attitude is still not there. I am still such in the infant stage in this area, that my resolve is quickly vanished as soon as the children protest, fight, and the baby starts crying. That is where hanging onto to my Lord for dear life comes in! He is the strength that makes this possible! Only with Him will I mature in this area that is so contrary to all our culture teaches.

Over the next many weeks, I am going to write a series about my journey toward joyful homemaking. There are some specific areas that I will cover.
*First, is discipline. I have already written about our If/Then chart. I will keep you updated on how that is going. There is also a lot of room for growth in my own discipline!

*Meal planning and grocery shopping. I just learned a trick that I can't wait to share with you!!!

*Staying on a budget. OUCH! This may be my hardest area.

*Adding in lessons in homemaking into our daily life. I just ordered some videos that I am really excited to receive and we just added something to our school schedule that I am so excited about! I can't wait to tell you!

*Cooking with my children. I am queen of the "Everyone out of the kitchen" cooking philosophy. I don't really enjoy cooking, so this is hard to train and pass on. Much work is needed here.

*Being creative! Sewing, crafting, etc. with a generous heart. I want to make our home beautiful! I want to make and share with neighbors and friends!

*Gardening! I want to learn how to put in hard work for a wonderful reward, fresh veggies!

More may come, but that is a ton already to tackle! Come along for the journey!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you been to moneysavingmoms website? She has awesome tips on saving money and how to even get free stuff. Mylitter is also awesome.