Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Today in the life of homeschool...

As each school year begins to wrap up for the summer, I always start planning for the next. Just as I think I am burning out, I actually switch into high gear and get really motivated to reevaluate and improve our current system. I also like to research and make sure I am using the best thing for each child.

This year, I am spending A LOT of time on blogs. I had no idea that there were so many ideas out there! My favorite has been www.confessionsofahomeschooler.blogspot.com. She is unbelievable! She has so many ideas! Plus, she likes to try curriculum and products out for companies and then report how she liked them. I found several things from her referrals. It is really mind boggling and a little overwhelming how much information there is out there. Still, it is only serving to excite me about the promise of a fresh start in Fall. I love this feeling. I love the naive, romantic excitement to return. All of the reasons that I went to school to teach Elem. Ed., all the reasons that I want to home school come rushing back and I feel optimistic once again.

This next year I will have a child in PreK, 1st, 3rd, and 4th! Plus, we can't forget about the Tiny Tot that will be making our day interesting! I now have a spread sheet of what and when for each child. Hopefully, that will help a little.

I think I am leaning toward using the Workbox System. Has anyone out there used this? I HAVE to figure a way for each child to know what is next and seamlessly move onto the next thing. I also HAVE to come up with children to be more independent at times so that I can focus on ONE. We will see. Right now, I am trying to find something that will work like the recommended boxes without the cost. If the system works for our family and it is going to continue, then I will probably want the carts, but I can't spend that kind of money not knowing.

I am now looking forward to our May HOPE meeting. HOPE is the support group for homeschooling moms that I am apart of. May is our curriculum discussion. It is always good to hear how others are doing things and even organizing their time. I also like to get my hands on actual copies of some of the books I have been thinking of.

All this makes me think of You've Got Mail, where they talk about how they love Fall and the smell of freshly sharpened pencils. Ahhhhh! I know, I am a dork!

No comments: