Tuesday, December 9, 2008

More on The Shack

I have been getting many warnings regarding this book. Apparently there are conflicting views. For those who have not read this book, the number one thing to keep in mind is that you are an intelligent human being and this is fiction. The other thing to keep in mind is that you must always weigh everything you are taking in as truth against the scriptures. I can see where some may get upset at some of the details of the story. What I hope you take from this book is the beautiful picture of relationship and God's COMPLETE love for you. I think that most of this book actually does line up with scripture. I think it is just a different idea that may take many out of their comfort zone. As long as scripture does not conflict, then there is no problem. I do find some inconsistencies with scripture, but nothing that took away the beauty of this story. I encourage you to read it, let it touch your life, and allow the Holy Spirit to help you discern what you take away from it.

1 comment:

Candace/Chloe said...

While I appreciate your open view about the book, I have do agree with the warnings. I think in our culture today, we especially need to be on guard about the things that ever-so-slightly sway us to a non-Biblical perspective, such as things that water down the Truth.

I agree that we are intelligent people who can take away only the good from a book, but there are others, intellegent albeit, who take rave book reviews and adopt that particular perspective as truth.

Again, I'm glad you enjoyed the book, but I have to agree with the warnings!